Q: My 2008 4.0 dodge nitro won't start.

asked by on June 18, 2017

My 2008 dodge nitro 4.0 was running fine when I got off the highway and it shut off. We pushed and left it until towing it to my home. We ran a scan and it came up with a code that the camshaft and crankshaft sensors were bad. First I replaced the crankshaft sensor with no start then I replaced the camshaft sensor still no start. The camshaft sensor had pieces of black fiber all over it which looks like fibers from the timing belt. We checked the fuel pump and it seems okay. I think because of the fibers on the camshaft sensor its probably the timing belt. I'm old school so I'm lost beyond this point I'm hoping you can help and do the repairs.

This is an interference engine, so if the timing belt breaks the valves can hit the top of the pistons. The timing belt in this application should be changed every 75,000 miles or so, so if it has never been changed you definitely want to have it done now. If you request a no start diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed, including if it is a timing belt related issue, and let you know of the repair strategy. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.