Q: Disable or bypass factory security system

We have a factory security system that acts up on us. Sometimes I'd try to unlock the doors after arming the system and it will only unlock one door and I get in, the car won't start. The security system stays armed. I'd like to disable the system so that the car will start. How do I do this?

To temporarily override the system, see these instructions. A permanent bypass requires re-engineering the system because engine immobilizers these days rely on multiple electronic modules and chips, the very removal or modification of any one of which, or reconfiguration, will itself activate the immobilizer. These immobilizer systems are complex and nearly foolproof to all but highly trained electrical engineers and even they will have trouble due to the need for specialized components, programming and so forth. That’s why these systems have been so effective of late in preventing car thefts. Immobilizers are essentially undefeatable unless you want to spend many, many hours poring over circuit schematics to design a unique bypass strategy. The bottom line is, in your circumstances it will be vastly easier, more efficient, and less costly to simply fix the immobilizer system that you already have in place. Indeed, the Factory Service Manual has a diagnostic protocol to accomplish just that. To that end, if you request a system electrical diagnostic a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.