Q: My 1991 ford ranger sputters when I accelerate and sometimes when idling it sounds like it’s cammed.

When I accelerate, the engine sputters but still tries to go. Also when the truck is idling it sounds like it’s cammed. After driving for a minute or two the check engine light comes on but it doesn’t light up after I start the truck. Sometimes it will drive fine and other times it can barely make it up a hill. I recently replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one and the engine was rebuilt about a year ago because the headers cracked in the old one. Thank you for tour time and have a good day.

The trouble codes stored as a consequence of the check engine light coming on may yield important clues as to the underlying fault. Consequently, those codes should be followed up on first. If resolution of the trouble codes does not lead to a smoother running engine, the problem has to be pinpointed using the usual diagnostics applied to the ignition, fuel and air induction system. Assuming that the engine has good compression, and no sticking valves or exhaust restriction, there is a fault in the engine management controls but that also includes components like the fuel pump. To obtain a prompt diagnostic of the issue, and learn of the required repairs, the recommended service is a Check Engine Light diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. My 1991 ford ranger sputters when I accelerate and sometimes when idling it sounds like it’s cammed.