Q: Motor is making a clanking noise

My car will still run but it makes an awful clanking noise that gets worse the more it is driven.people say they think I have thrown a rod .I tried changing the oil it still is doing it.what could it be and what needs to be replaced?

A: This could be a variety of things. I would...

This could be a variety of things. I would recommend changing the oil again, but pay special attention to see if you find any type of metal shavings or debris in the oil. Try dumping it through a mesh screen into another container which should catch anything that should not be coming out of your oil pan. Also, with the hood up and the car running do a visual check to see if you see any pulleys or any other components that appear to be out of adjustment or moving abnormally. Check all gauges to make sure you have normal oil pressure and the temperature is normal. If all of these appear to be normal, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your problem.