Q: My car ran out of gas and now it will not start even after putting gas in the tank

My car ran out of gas. while I was waiting for a friend to bring me gas, I accidentally left lights on and I think the battery may have died. The car will not start though, even after putting gas in the car and even after two attempts to jump the car with two different vehicles and two different sets of jumper cables. Do you have any idea if this could be a bad battery? Or something more serious.

If the starter motor itself is not functioning (i.e., no engine cranking), then the starter circuit has to be diagnosed. If the starter motor is functioning, but the car is not starting, you could have a circumstance where the fuel pump overheated because it was run dry. That could cause the pump impeller seal to fail. First, check for the characteristic, but momentary, whirring sound from the in-tank fuel pump at key "on". If no fuel pump operation is detected at key "on", check for battery voltage at the pump wire harness at key "on". If no voltage is detected, that circuit has to be diagnosed all the way back to the battery to find the fault. If there is power to the pump, but no momentary pump operation at key "on", the pump would be condemned and replaced. If the pump does operates, check fuel pressure in fuel rail to confirm that it is operating properly and supplying adequate pressure. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding mechanic will get it diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

3. My car ran out of gas and now it will not start even after putting gas in the tank