Q: Misfires, Rough idle, Engine Check light, and Engine not starting

asked by on October 07, 2016

My truck has trouble starting, really bad misfires, loss of power, Engine Check light, and rough idle. When I try to start my truck, the lights come on and everything, but the starter just doesn't kick in. It can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to start up. I was doing some research and read that it might be a ad ignition coil. Does this sound like the case?

Hello there, many different faults can cause your 2002 Chevrolet S10 to have starting issues, misfires and lack of power.

The first step would be to scan the truck to determine what codes are present, this will determine what route diagnosis goes. The most common causes for these symptoms is spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, MAF sensor, oxygen sensor, fuel filter, alternator, battery cable, wiring harness fault, or the cap & rotor.

A qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to determine what Check Engine Light codes are present and diagnose the vehicle from there.