Q: Making a ticking noise when ideling

asked by on October 20, 2016

My timing belt was done in 2005. My car seems to make a ticking noise when it sits ideling. Is this normal? Would I need to replace timing belt again since it's been 10-11 years maybe?

Timing Belt Replacement $295.56 - $1425.61 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

This may very well be a slight bit of excess valve train noise. Your car should have the timing belt replaced around every 60,000-70,000 miles. If it is possible that you may have put that many miles on the car since the last timing belt change, it may be time for a new one as well as a valve adjustment. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the noise firsthand and make these adjustments.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr