Q: Jerking while shifting from second gear into third gear

asked by on May 23, 2016

My car has an automatic transmission that lately started having issues. The car has around 90,000 miles on it. The issue happens when I shift from the second gear into third gear. Then, it starts jerking. It has different intensity however. It is very mild sometimes while other times, it is all normal. Do I have to rebuild the transmission or is there any other solution?

This issue could be something as simple as a reprogramming of the transmission computer, to a broken motor mount (although the jerking would probably be felt in all gear ranges), to possibly a transmission malfunction. Unfortunately, the transmission module reprogramming is best done at a dealership.

However, there might be some transmission faults stored that may be able to be read out using a scan tool with Hyundai software in it. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic to assist with diagnosis of your car’s stalling issue. They can help determine which component(s) are faulty and help you proceed with a repair.