Q: My engine coolant light is coming on and after hitting a pot hole my thermostat light pops on, and after a few miles car run hot

My engine coolant is leaking out rapidly and the thermostat and engine coolant light is coming on(in yellow). I did hit a pot hole and heard a sound, upon putting my foot on the break I see smoke from under the hood; however when my foot is on the gas car no longer smoke but after a few miles the low engine coolant light comes on and now after hitting the pot hole the thermostat light appears after so many miles and car begins to slow down, and I have to refill with with engine coolant and then it's runs fine for another 40-60 miles. What do you think could be the problem besides maybe a hose busted. And probably how much in repairs will I be looking at to repair? Thank You My email: s.winters69@yahoo.com

Hi there. It is quite possible that you may have damaged the radiator when hitting the pot hole. Although there are protective shields located under the radiator itself, they are typically very thin and made of plastic in most cases. Sometimes the quick impact can cause cracking along the base of the radiator. When this happens, coolant will leak rather quickly. I would recommend two things, first, stop driving the vehicle until this issue is repaired. Second, contact a professional mobile mechanic to complete a coolant leak inspection so they can pinpoint precisely what is causing the leak and what repairs will be needed. This will allow you to have an accurate estimate for repairs.

3. My engine coolant light is coming on and after hitting a pot hole my thermostat light pops on, and after a few miles car run hot