Q: Car won't stay in second gear. It makes a gurgling noise and goes back into neutral.

asked by on December 13, 2016

My car won't go into second gear. It's been working fine for about a month (when I purchased it) But today when I was driving it the car wouldn't go into second gear. It made a weird noise almost gurgling noise and would go back into netural

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. What seems to have happened is the shifter rail fork or the synchronizer in the transmission is damaged. If the shifter rail fork or the synchronizer is damaged, then a gear will not be achieved. To determine if the fork is bent or if the synchronizer is damaged, check to see if you have 1st and 3rd gears. If both 1st and 3rd gears work, then the synchronizer is damaged. A bent fork will effect one of the other gears. I recommend having your transmission looked at by a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, and assist you with your second gear not engaging.