Q: Why is there white smoke all around my car when i turn on the engine?

I turned on my car and it felt shaky and there was white smoke all around it. I immediately turned it back off. None of the lights on the dashboard came on. What is causing the white smoke?

A: The engine may have a blown a leaking head ...

The engine may have a blown a leaking head gasket or coolant is getting in the engine cylinder somehow. The white smoke is from coolant being burned in the engine and coming out the exhaust. You should have the vehicle tested for a blown head gasket and the cooling system should be pressure tested for leaks. I’d suggest getting your vehicle inspected by a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic, who can come to your location to perform these checks and properly diagnose the smoke firsthand.