Q: A tin metal like rattling sound when I accelerate from a low speed.

asked by on September 17, 2016

A metal rattling sound when I accelerate from a slow speed or from a complete stop. The rattling sound is temporary and goes away when I reach 30 - 40 mph. Anymore acceleration to speeds beyond that do not make this sound. I also feels like something is holding down the acceleration of the vehicle during the time I hear that rattling sound. It comes from the front side near to the tires.

Hello. My first inclination would be to say, "torque converter". That is easy to rule in or out as you might be able to get a "free" diagnosis from a transmission shop. I’m not recommending you repair it there but it is not unreasonable to seek advice. The reason for my first inclination is you mention a degradation in acceleration. If the torque converter has an internal fault you could experience poor acceleration along with noise. To rule out obvious simple causes, check the fluid level in the transmission per the instructions in the owner’s manual (follow carefully; otherwise reading will be meaningless). Whether it is the torque converter or another cause (front wheel drive, or engine related for instance), YourMechanic could give you a definitive diagnosis of the rattling sound, after an inspection, and indicate your repair options. Good luck with this.