Q: Shifting issues, check engine light on

asked by on June 14, 2016

I was driving the car the other day and stopped it for a while. After I started it up again, the dash showed the check engine light on. I put it in reverse with no issues. However, when I put it in drive, there were some problems. The engine was revving. I had to shift into first gear and then to drive in order to get the car running. I put a quart of transmission fluid right away. That helped a lot and it shifted and ran fine. The check engine light was still on though. However, the next time I was about to drive the car, it had the same shifting issues. I couldn't go into drive directly. There were also lights indicating that I am in both drive and park simultaneously. How is that possible? What do you think is the issue with my car? I appreciate your help.

Hello there, a few different things could potentially cause this fault. The most common would be a neutral safety switch, transmission shift linkage fault, or a transmission fault. A technician will first inspect the Check Engine Light for exactly what code is present in the computer to help determine which direction to go with diagnosis. The qualified technicians at YourMechanic are always willing and able to help with any issues you may have.