2010 Mazda 3 has trouble starting sometimes l4-2.5l mazd...

Q: 2010 Mazda 3 has trouble starting sometimes

asked by on October 20, 2017

My 2010 Mazda 3 is having issues starting - sometimes it will start right away, and others the engine will turn over a few times before it starts. I've checked the battery(bought in 2014), and I've cleaned any corrosion on the posts as well as near the starter. I've also changed my fuse, as it hadn't been done yet(I bought the car second hand in 2013). From what I've been told, it sounds like it might be an issue with the starter, but I want to be sure before I bring it in, as I don't want to just be throwing parts in there if it's not necessary.

Hi S.E. Thanks for contacting us today. If you turn your key, and the engine cranks over every time but is hard to actually start, then the issue is not with the starter. It’s more likely that fuel or ignition system components are worn out, dirty or need to be replaced. If the starter has difficulty engaging when you turn the key (basically nothing happens) then it is either the starter relay or perhaps the starter itself. Since there are several possible parts that could be the cause of this issue, it’s probably best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection - so they can correctly diagnose your issues before repairs are made.