Q: I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota that needs the front wheel hubs changed. It is 4wd with all wheel ABS. I need some tips.

asked by on October 15, 2016

I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota that needs the front wheel hubs changed. It is 4wd with all wheel ABS. All the videos I found say that its for the Dakotas between 1997 and 2004 but my CV joints look different then all the ones i see in the videos. In the videos it said i need to remove the CV joints in order to remove the hub. Do i actually need to remove the CV joint? Im just wondering if you could shed some light on the issue.

When I replace a hub, I don’t necessarily remove the CV joints. I do, however, remove the nut that is holding the CV joint onto the hub. You will need to remove the brakes and rotor, the upper and lower ball joints (replace if damaged), remove the tie rod end (replace if damaged), and the sway arm from the hub.

This should be all you need to remove to take off your hub. Remember, if you damage any boots you will need to replace the part for your safety. Before doing all of this, you may want to get an assortment of cotter pins as well. If you want some assistance, be sure to have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, perform a wheel hub replacement.