Q: My headlights burn out constantly

asked by on November 07, 2015

I really like my 2010 Subaru Outback and have put about 90,000 miles on it since buying it. The only problem I am having is with the headlights burning out way too often. They will usually both burn out within 10,000 miles. It is really inconvenient. They burn out often enough that I just keep bulbs in my glove compartment. Is there anything I can do to make this stop? It is getting ridiculous.

This is a common problem for this generation of Outback. The short life of the bulbs has been attributed to the bulbs being illuminated almost constantly. A secondary cause is that the bulbs are being touched during install. The Outback calls for a standard H7 bulb as a replacement. Next time the bulbs need to be replaced, look for the H7 Long Life (H7LL) bulbs. These are built to withstand the rigors of high heat and vibration. Be sure that your fingers don’t come in direct contact with the bulb surface when they are being installed. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can professionally install the bulbs at the convenience of your home or office.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr