Q: Transmission will not shift out of 1st gear

I am trying to locate the fuse boxes in my truck. To explain, the transmission will not shift out of 1st gear. I think that perhaps a fuse has blown and I want to check it out. However, I'm not sure if there is only one fuse box in my truck. I am assuming it is inside the cab and under the steering wheel or it might be under the hood somewhere. Would you please tell me where it is and how to access it? Thanks.

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD. If your vehicle will not shift out of first gear, the problem is not the fuses. The problem could be a shift solenoid, but more than likely, you have an internal transmission issue that will require rebuilding or replacing the unit. The 1-2 shift valve may be the problem. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose your shifting problem.