Q: New car but the airbag warning light comes up

The “service airbag” light always comes on in my 2012 GMC Acadia and I have taken it into the shop multiple times to get it checked out and reset. This is basically a new car with 19,000 miles on the clock and the fact that they can’t tell whether it is an electrical problem or a hardware problem is worrying. I need these airbags to work if I get into a crash! Should I be worried the airbag system is defective in my car?

There was a recall issued for the seat side impact connector problems and the recall was GM N14030 or NHTSA 14V118 dated 6/17/2014. The recall repaired the connectors to the air bags of both seats. Now GM came out with a special repair bulletin number 15536 dated 8/5/2015 that states that the repair from the recall done on N14030 or 14V118 may have problems with the repairs that were done to fix the air bag connectors and to remove bad repair section and reconnect to air bags. The new repair should fix any service air bag light you have coming on.

3. New car but the airbag warning light comes up