Q: Loud sounds coming from the back of the car and can be heard only on the inside

One day while I was driving on the highway and the spare tire that was on a truck in front of me, fell off from it and hit my car in the backseat area. My car continued to run fine and there were no issues with the transmission, engine or any leaking. But, it started to sound very loud. I thought the problem is with the tires so I had them replaced but the sound persisted. The noise can be heard from inside, not the outside, and it is getting louder. The noise changes as I accelerate, making it the loudest at around 55 mph but it gradually quiets down somewhat st higher speeds. This is not related to shifting and I had emissions checked, so that is all fine. The loud noise can be heard inside of the car, coming from the back. What could it be? I haven't been to the mechanic's as there are no other issues beside the noise. Thank.

Since I am not able to hear the noise, I am taking a stab at this, but one common item that can make a noise would be a driveshaft center bearing. If the center bearing is going out it will resonate through the body as the bearing support is bolted to the body. So it may resonate louder inside the vehicle rather than the outside. Once again this a place to start, but you may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to diagnose the car noise more precisely in person.

• Loud sounds coming from the back of the car and can be heard only on the inside