Q: Squealing noise, runs bumpy over 50 mph - 2005 Mercedes-Benz ML500

asked by on September 11, 2016

My car has been making awfully loud squealing sounds ever since I went on a longer trip. This becomes noticeable during driving, both when I put it in reverse or drive forward. There is no noise when I start the engine though. In addition to this, the car is running sort of bumpy each time I increase the speed over 50 mph. What could it be?

Hi! A good place to begin is with a thorough visual inspection performed on your Mercedes. Squealing sounds under the hood frequently come from accessory belts. This can be due to age or a worn tensioner. That’s one of those things that is difficult to say for sure unless one is standing there in person seeing and hearing it! The bumpy feeling may be tire imbalance due to worn out tires, a need for re-balancing, or worn out shock absorbers. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office too diagnose the squealing noise and complete any necessary repairs.