Q: Steering Issues

Recently had power steering pump replaced ( it went bad no power steering). When the pump was replaced since the hose was older it developed a leak. After pump was put on whining sound started.Got the hose repaired through your services...however leak still remains and the whining sound is louder. You can hear the sound on idle as well, not just when steering the car. What do you suggest I have done to cure the leak and the whining sound since both seem to have gotten worse since I had the hose repaired yesterday 11/17. As a note the power steering hose had a leak but the level on the fluid would never get lower than the recommended levels. On about an hr drive it would leak about (if measured) 3-5 spoons of fluid. Thank you for your help.

A: Hi there: In most cases, when you notice a...

Hi there:

In most cases, when you notice a power steering fluid leak, it's caused by a pinched or slightly damaged power steering hose or the fittings have cracked. The problem can also be caused by a power steering pump gasket or seal that has worn out and needs to be replaced. Without knowing specifics about your vehicle, it's hard to give you exact replacement advice, so i'd recommend contacting a mobile mechanic to complete a power steering system inspection; so they can determine what's causing the leak and recommend the right repairs.