Q: I have white smoke coming from my tail pipe I also have to put water in my car about every 3 days what could the problem be

asked by on May 24, 2017

I have to put water in my car about every 3 days for the last year now it died on me it started back up after I put water in the radiator it was not running hot but had the smell like it was over heating now today it has white smoke coming from the tail pipe what could this be

Hi there. Unfortunately, this appears to be a blown head gasket or significant coolant leak inside the motor. White smoke from the tail pipe is caused by coolant that is mixed with engine oil and is burned inside the combustion chamber. When you have to add coolant (or water as you’ve indicated) every few days, and the engine is overheating, this is typically the cause. This can be a very expensive repair, so before you decide on having repairs completed, you might want to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location to verify what repairs might be needed, so you can make an informed decision.