Q: Loosing oil

asked by on September 30, 2016

I have a 1.5 micra 2010. I using around a liter of oil a month. I have no apparent leaks so I take it the engine is burning it is there any common faults to look for?

Hello, thanks for writing in about your Nissan Micra. If the car is overheating, check to see if you find the car emitting at white smoke. Also, check the oil to see if you are able to see any traces of water in it or as milky color to it. Check the water/coolant to see if you see any traces of oil in it. If any or all of these are true, it may be possible that you have a blown cylinder head gasket.

If the car is not overheating at all and you do not notice any white smoke, but rather a blue smoke, it is possible that the car may be just burning the oil. This can happen when the valve seals are worn or when the piston to cylinder wall clearance is excessive.

Either way, I would recommend having a certified expert, like one from YourMechanic, come to your home to diagnose your low oil level condition and help you make the necessary repairs.