Q: Why would my car drive at 0 rpms ? It's a 2011 Hyundai Accent.

asked by on March 12, 2017

I stopped to put air in my tires. When I started my car back up it wouldn't start at first but then it did. I noticed my rpms stayed at 0 while I drove.

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The gauge on your dashboard that tells you the engine speed, measured in RPMs, is called the tachometer. If just the tachometer is not working, it may be getting a weak signal (or no signal at all) coming to the gauge. It may also be an issue with the engine speed sensor, or the crankshaft position sensor. If other parts of the instrument cluster are not working, then the entire cluster may need to be replaced. The speed sensor can also be tested electrically. Only further testing will tell. For an inspection from our techs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.