Q: Kia Spectra cannot downshift normally in D

I have a Kia Spectra 2003 with the 1.8 engine. What happens is the car won’t downshift normally, when it is in D. This means when I start the car, it won’t go forward and I have to put it in gear two. What could it be?

I’ve seen this happen all of the time. When that happens, it means that your transmission is starting to wear out inside. Often, it’s a problem with the pump inside starting to wear. So what you want to do is start by changing the filter and fluid and put in new fluid, and one quart of Lucas automatic transmission additive and a lot of time that will solve the problem.

If that doesn’t solve the problem then you have some serious problems and you are going to have to get a mechanic check it for you with a dealer-level scan tool or do some testing. They will be able to diagnose your shifting issue and make a repair.

3. Kia Spectra cannot downshift normally in D