Q: Transmission slipping, gear warning on the dash

I've recently bought this used car and there are some shifting problems. The car has difficulty shifting into second gear. Also, when I drive uphill, the engine seems to lose a lot of power. It can't go as fast as it usually does and there is a slipping of the transmission. The dashboard showed a gear warning with an exclamation point. Is the transmission going out or is it something less serious happening?

A: Hello. Let’s hope that you don’t have an is...

Hello. Let’s hope that you don’t have an issue with the mechanical aspect of the transmission on your 2002 BMW 330xi. I believe the best thing to check will be the transmission fluid. Also, I suggest having a technician run a diagnostic test on the computer of the vehicle with a scan tool to retrieve any stored fault codes. The gear indicator coming up on the dash should be accompanied by a fault code which will help determine the cause of the slipping problem you are having.