Q: Transmission slipping, gear warning on the dash

I've recently bought this used car and there are some shifting problems. The car has difficulty shifting into second gear. Also, when I drive uphill, the engine seems to lose a lot of power. It can't go as fast as it usually does and there is a slipping of the transmission. The dashboard showed a gear warning with an exclamation point. Is the transmission going out or is it something less serious happening?

Hello. Let’s hope that you don’t have an issue with the mechanical aspect of the transmission on your 2002 BMW 330xi. I believe the best thing to check will be the transmission fluid. Also, I suggest having a technician run a diagnostic test on the computer of the vehicle with a scan tool to retrieve any stored fault codes. The gear indicator coming up on the dash should be accompanied by a fault code which will help determine the cause of the slipping problem you are having.

3. Transmission slipping, gear warning on the dash