Q: My 2014 Chevy Malibu lt is throwing the p1682 code. I have no issues other than the light. Should I start with replacing the fuses

asked by on February 15, 2018

I have a 2014 Chevy malibu. Check engine light came on with a p1682 code. I have no apparent issues with the vehicle. I reviewed some forums and it says it's a voltage difference with the fuses, should I start with replacing the fuses?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

A poor electrical connection to a fuse, or in the fuseholder, is a possibility and that, along with the condition of the power relay and the start power relay, should be considered. Fuses are easily tested and they should not be replaced unless they are clearly "open" (i.e., failed). Most likely the issue is a high resistance connection somewhere in the relevant circuit(s). If the car is functioning normally, initially you can erase this code (be sure you have read ALL codes, though; if other codes exist, the advice will be different) and see if the code recurs. If it does, the procedure is to use the Factory Service Manual wiring diagram to test voltage drops along the relevant circuits until you find the high resistance in the circuit that is causing the voltage differential (between the two ignition circuits supplying the ECM) that is the underlying cause of this particular code. If the code does recur, or you just want the diagnostic performed without going through the step of erasing the code, just request a check engine light diagnostic - P1682 and the responding certified mechanic will resolve this, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr