Q: When car is shifted into drive car will not go forward when pressing gas it just rev the engine.But when shifted into reverse car

asked by on May 03, 2017

Car will not move in drive when shifted only revs the engine but when shifted in reverse car moves normal .Drained transmission fluid and it was dark and smelled burnt .

Hello, thank you for writing in. The color and condition of the transmission fluid should be a huge indicator. Low transmission fluid is one of the leading causes of issues with the transmission. You will want to start by refilling the transmission fluid, following manufacturer directions and specifications on the type and the amount of fluid. If this makes a difference, then you know the lack of good hydraulic fluid in the system was the immediate cause of your problems. This does not always mean that the transmission is not having other issues, as burnt fluid is not a good sign in a vehicle that is only 6 years old. Burnt fluid can also be a sign of how hard the vehicle is being driven. If filling the transmission with fresh fluid does not solve the issue, then the transmission needs to be inspected by a transmission specialist. Unless properly trained, automatic transmissions are incredibly difficult to work on at home.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr