Q: Key getting stuck in ignition, then drains my battery

asked by on May 05, 2017

My key is getting stuck in the ignition, and I have to press the key release button to get it out then it drains my car battery, I jumped it then it starts up again then I start it again and my anti theft light comes on my key gets stuck again

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The key sticking is probably a mechanical fault. There could be a problem with the key itself, the lock cylinder or any of the interlocks that affect the key and steering column. To inspect this and resolve it, just request an electrical component diagnostic - ignition key/switch. The parasitic power draw "might" be related to the key issue but that has to be determined because there are many circuits in the vehicle that can also be the source of phantom loads, not just the ignition circuit. Basically, the mechanic will narrow the possibilities by testing circuits starting at the battery. If you request the suggested diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.