Q: Humming/whirring sound only when accelerating.

I drive a 2001 manual toyota echo. It makes several noises, the most concerning being when I am pressing the gas there's a whirring or humming noise coming from the front of the car. There's also a noise like some one is jumping on an old bed when I brake. The A/c also stopped working after I heard a loud pop while driving, and the belt sqeals if my batter is weak and early in the morning. I don't know if any of this is related, but I'm curious as to what the noise that happens when I only accelerate may be. The car's in the shop now and the mechanic "thinks" it's the wheel bearing I had replaced a couple years back. This is my first time at this mechanic and he didn't the day after I dropped my car off like he said he would, I called a week later and he said he'd call back and never did, so there isn't a lot of trust.

It is possible that you have a wheel bearing issue. It is usually worse when cornering in one direction and gets better when turning the other direction if it’s just one bearing.

The brake noise could be the return spring for the brake pedal or the pivot point for the pedal needs lubricating. It is also possible that the brakes need replacing, and that a component called a squealer is making that noise to alert you to the worn brakes.

The belt needs to be tightened. When your battery is low, it puts a load on the alternator causing the alternator to be harder to turn. With a loose belt, it slips until it can gain traction and accelerate the alternator to the engine speed. Early in the morning, dew or moisture can collect on the belt and contribute to the belt slipping.

If you would like this to be checked by a certified pro, an expert from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose the noises that are being exhibited and can assist you with the proper repairs for this.

3. Humming/whirring sound only when accelerating.