Q: Stalling dying misfires

My car has a good battery that doesn’t stay charged. And the car doesn't always run, and it misfires when it is running. I've done a compression test and it’s OK. But it runs like it’s going to stall. I just put in a new camshaft position sensor and a fuel pump. Do you know what might be wrong with my car? I can't figure this out.

A: These issues may be related. The battery is...

These issues may be related. The battery is basically just an electronic storage device which must be charged regularly by the alternator. A good battery that doesn't stay charged points to a failing alternator. A bad alternator can also cause all kinds of engine performance problems, since the onboard electronics depend on alternator voltage when the engine is running. The only way to know for sure is to have the stalling issue tested firsthand by a professional. I suggest enlisting the help of a mobile mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, since we can come to you.