Q: Would an engine problem cause my slip indicator to come on in my 2010 Toyota Highlander

asked by on April 17, 2017

Slip indicator stayed on. No unusual noise, no abnormal vibration. Mechanic said low oil level due to oil leakage through pistons. Had car serviced at same dealership a month ago, approx. 1000 miles since. They recommended to change engine. Are they correct?

Warning Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. It sounds like you have two different issues going on. The slip indicator will come on when there is a traction control issue or when there is a malfunction in the system. Most of the time this is caused by a bad steering angle sensor or a yaw sensor. As for the engine issue, it is common for engines to burn some oil. It is considered normal for an engine to burn a quart or two of oil between oil changes. If you want to double check these issues, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the slip light is on and to see if you have any pending engine problems] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/warning-light-is-on-inspection