Q: Car flooded

asked by on February 09, 2016

My car was flooded with water. What should I do?

Car will not turn over Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Do not try and start the vehicle. Contact your insurance company. Have the vehicle towed out of the water. Have the engine checked by removing and cleaning out the air intake, clearing the engine of water by removing all spark plugs, and draining the oil and filter if water is in the crank case. The engine may then be attempted to crank over with the spark plugs removed.

If the engine still will not turn, then attempt to turn the engine at the crankshaft pulley, in case the starter is not working. If engine still cannot be turned, then the internal engine rods may have bent, and a new engine may be needed.

The best course of action at this point would be to have a mobile mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to inspect the vehicle, and go from there.