Q: Jolts, jerks & disengagement of transmission

Today, while driving, there were big jolts after stopping and when accelerating there were definite jerks in the shifting of the transmission. After sitting at a red light and starting to drive again, there was disengagement in the transmission and my car wouldn’t move. There was no help from shifting into neutral and then back into drive. When I used the manual shift buttons on the steering wheel, then I was able to drive again. After ¼ mile of jerking and slipping in and out of gear, the transmission reengaged. What caused this so I’ll know what to tell the mechanic?

A: There are many different technical service ...

There are many different technical service bulletins that may pertain to the problems in your transmission system. The different bulletins cover anything from reprogramming the transmission module to replacing the transmission. My recommendation is to have the vehicle tested and diagnosed by a Mercedes mechanic with the proper scan tools and reprogramming capabilities. Alternatively, you could have an independent mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose the shifting issue and let you know repairs to move forward with.