Q: What are the automatic seat belt tensioners?

What are the automatic seat belt tensioners?

Your car’s seat belts are much more advanced than what was available even a few years ago. They’re much more than just belts designed to be tightened on buckling. In fact, they work with your air bag system to enhance your safety. One of the key means of doing this is the automatic seat belt tensioner.

Really, the tensioner is exactly what it sounds like. When the car’s computer senses certain types of impacts, the tensioner is activated. This slightly retracts the belt and then briefly locks it into place to better hold you in the seat and protect you against injury from the impact.

• Your seat belt tensioners can only be used one time – after deploying, they’ll need to be replaced.

• Tensioners don’t work in all situations. The impact has to meet certain criteria for them to be activated.

3. What are the automatic seat belt tensioners?