Q: My Check Engine Light is on - code P0430

Hi Jose My engine light came on a couple weeks ago. The catalyst system efficiency is bellow threshhold in bank 2 according to a code reader. I know nothing about cars. I really don't want to get jipped by anyone, since I am a teenage girl. My car has seemed to have a lack of power, and I know that is one of the symptoms for a p0430 OBD. My engine light is not flashing, but it is constantly on. Also, my gas cap is not loose. Can you give me an estimate or a maximum cost of what it could be? I appreciate your help.

-Becca

A: Hi there. If you are getting this code alon...

Hi there. If you are getting this code along with a loss of power, it usually means that the catalytic converter is failing. When it fails internally it begins to clog the exhaust which will cause the lack of power.

This will also cause the Check Engine Light to come on. Prior to changing the converter, I usually test the converter by doing a back pressure test just to make sure that it is not a sensor issue. If you are going to have this catalytic converter problem fixed, I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as on from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and replace your catalytic converter if needed.