Q: Speedometer stopped working 20km

My Ford has 72,000kms on it. My speedometer started acting up. It did this once before, but it fixed itself. It did it longer today and stopped at the 20km mark. It stopped then moved up 20-30km faster than what I was actually driving. Luckily I have a speedometer app on my phone. I asked my local repair shop about this, and he said it sounded like a speedometer controller issue. He isn’t sure though and called a few Ford dealerships and they recommended a diagnostic. The local mechanic will do a diagnostic for me soon. Do you have any ideas on this? Thanks.

Hi there. For your Ford E-250, it is likely that there is an issue with the instrument cluster itself, the vehicle speed sensor, or the wheel speed sensor.

All of those components play a critical role in calculating or displaying the vehicle speed. I suggest that you have a technician inspect the speedometer problem firsthand, and pay special attention to the things that I have mentioned. One of those components are likely at fault and causing your erroneous speed reading.