Q: Would my 2009 Ford Taurus X need two cans of refrigerant to fully charge my AC?

asked by on June 17, 2017

My husband used one full can of refrigerant to charge our AC. The system is still not cooling to temperature (60*C). The auto part store salesman mentioned he may need two cans. Does that sound correct?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Most vehicles that need recharging take less than one can to fill their system. If you are having trouble pressurizing, you may have a leak. Not all cans are made equal, and you want to consider what size of cans you are using in the first place. Your vehicle should hold around 26 ounces, and your owner’s manual will have more information on the process of recharging. If your system was completely empty, you will want to know where that refrigerant is leaking from, as it is incredibly harmful to the environment. You DO NOT want to leak excess amounts of R134a into the air. For more help with this process, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.