Q: Car keeps running hot

asked by on November 10, 2016

I'm very puzzled on what could be wrong with my car. I keep hearing different things radiator, thermostat, or blown head gasket. It ran hot twice within 1 week. Whenever it first ran hot my "add engine oil" light came on. Then it start smoking and the water in my jug gets to bubbling. I took it to a mechanic he said blown head gasket. I googled each problem and they all described what I mentioned above. I want your opinion on what could be wrong with my car.

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Oil level is low Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Overheating of any kind will cause the cooling system to boil, creating the bubbling in the coolant jug. All of the parts you listed can make this happen if they are not working correctly. The question is which one is the problem. I would trust a mechanic over all other sources of information because I would assume he or she took time to diagnose your car. Diagnosing is the act of testing your car to figure out what is wrong with it. If you don’t trust the mechanic you have already taken your car to, I recommend having an overheating inspection done from YourMechanic to give you another opinion.

There is nothing wrong with getting more than one opinion. Personally I trust those that can demonstrate to me why they believe a particular failure exists. If a mechanic is prepared to explain there diagnosis in a fashion that makes it understandable to you, you should trust him or her.

As for the add engine oil light, it is common for more than one light to come on to get your attention. Simply check the oil level and add oil if necessary.

Good luck!