Q: My car has high miles and tonight it began "missing" and the engine does not seem as "smooth" as usual.

High miles...car missing tonight and have not noticed a "smooth" engine sound...could this be a timing chain issue? The transmission was replaced about two years ago. It has 199,999 miles on it but this missing tonight is the first real sign of a problem...the engine light has come on. Advise?

Hello. The symptoms you describe can be caused by a wide variety of issues. If the Check Engine Light has come on, then I would recommend retrieving the trouble codes as the possibilities could be many. Issues with the fuel and engine management both cause the vehicle to experience misfires and illuminate the Check Engine Light. If there is an issue with an engine management sensor or fuel system component, they may cause the engine to misfire.

A timing chain issue can also cause these symptoms, but a more in depth diagnosis would be required to determine if that is the cause. Usually, a timing chain will cause the engine to produce a distinct rattle or noise when the engine is started and running. As the possibilities can vary widely, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and why the car is misfiring.

3. My car has high miles and tonight it began "missing" and the engine does not seem as "smooth" as usual.