Q: Speedometer stopped working, how do I repair it? 2003 Audi A6

while driving at a constant speed speedo needle started to rise and fall then eventually dropped to zero, where it stayed for the rest of the journey.

Hello - most likely the speedometer sensor has failed, or the wiring to it has become disconnected. Check that first. It’s also possible that the speedometer sensor drive gear has failed (small plastic gear), or the instrument panel speedo gauge has failed - but these 2 possibilities are less likely. I would recommend a speedometer failure diagnosis by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Speedometer stopped working, how do I repair it? 2003 Audi A6