Q: Maintenance warning light - 2006 Toyota Corolla

The maint. required light was flashing a few days ago and it has finally stayed on. Is that the same as the check engine light and what could the issues possibly be?

Hello.

For most Toyota vehicles the maintenance required light is different from the Check Engine Light, and come on during different circumstances. The Check Engine Light is usually the more serious of the two, and comes on when the computer detects an issue with the vehicle’s emissions, electrical, or engine performance system.

The maintenance required light will come on when the computer detects that the vehicle is due for an oil change service. When the oil sensor detects that the oil is dirty, or the maximum of miles allowed between services has been reached on the odometer the light will come on to notify the driver it is time for service.

To get rid of the maintenance required light I would change the vehicle’s oil and follow the reset procedure for the lights. If you’d like assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can service your oil at your home or office. Best of luck.