Q: Truck won't stay running

I replaced my battery and starter because my truck wouldn't crank, then it started cranking but wouldn't stay running. It will shut while idling and while driving randomly it doesn't shutter down, it just shuts clean OFF. I have had my altenator checked and was told that it was okay. I have cut back new wire and tightened my battery terminals. That seemed to help at first but now it is back doing the same thing. Either battery completely dies and doesn't crank or it cranks but won't stay running. ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME.

One of the hardest problems to diagnose are electrical gremlins. Without being there to physically inspect your 97 Dodge Ram pickup, it’s hard to give you a perfect diagnosis. However, when the battery and alternator are good, I tend to follow the flow of electric current to determine the problem.

When the alternator and battery have been replaced, most of the time, this is an issue with the battery cables or the voltage regulator. If you have a diagnostic reader and plug it in, you might see a P2503 OBD-II trouble code that will give you a few clues as to the actual culprit.

If you don’t have one, don’t worry. Contact one of our certified mechanics who can come to your car location and to do a diagnostic on your car’s stalling issue.