1986 lincoln town car stalls while driving, drives good f...

Q: 1986 lincoln town car stalls while driving, drives good for a bit, then jerks, soon after motor cut off. has to sit awhile4restart

asked by on August 17, 2017

My 1986 lincoln town car has a intermittent stalling problem. ive taken it to a mechanic a few times and have had a full tune up done, the MAP sensor replaced and the idol reset to manufacture specifications. i also replaced the fuel filter, air filter, ignition control module, and fuel pump relay i found under the hood. i also have sprayed some wd40 in the idol control valve area & wiped out any carbon around there (were the plastic air filter thing connects to the motor) my fuel pump has this high pitch buzz in the back of the car the whole time the engines running including while driving. Now it idols smooth, drives smooth initially. the fuel pressure reads 40 psi. i personally think something is heating up though, i can drive it smooth for 25mins, park engine off 15 mins, drive 10, park 10, drive 15 (starts jerking a little at this point, park 2 hours, drive 10, park 1 hour 30 mins, drive 10 (its at this point the motor cuts off while driving. sitting overnight lets me do it again

You should have the fuel pressure checked when the vehicle stalls to see if you are losing fuel pressure since you notice the pump is noisey when running. The pump is most likely losing pressure when it gets hot and may depend on the amount of fuel in the tank since lower fuel it will heat up quicker and fail. If you are losing pressure then you should replace the pump and filter.