Q: Jerky Engine Symptoms...

asked by on June 23, 2017

When fuel is 1/4 tank, the engine intermittently jerks during acceleration. Road bumps can also cause the jerk. CE light has come on a few times. Car seems close to dying. Did die once. On restart things are ok for a bit - enough to get a full tank. Experienced a jerk with a full tank once or twice, but usually the car purrs along fine until the tank is to 1/4 or so. Codes: From the flashing CE light #8 (MAF) and #73 (Vehicle Speed Sensor) Things I've done: Replaced spark plugs, fuel filter and fuel pump. Air filter is clean. Thought I had it solved with the fuel pump - until 1/4 tank. Haven't replaced the MAF or VSS. I realize the MAF could cause this symptom, but why only at 1/4 tank? How could the Vehicle Speed Sensor be affecting this? It's hard for me to understand why the low fuel might be related. Why do I even need a vehicle speed sensor on a manual tranny? Can't get more specific OBD codes due to the 20 pin connector? Next thought is clean the MAF then replace VSS...

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It’s quite possible that the fuel pump pickup is clogged with debris or wearing out, if these symptoms happen when there is less than 1/4 tank of gasoline. It’s always a good idea to not run the vehicle low on gasoline, as it can cause damage to fuel pumps and support systems. You might want to have a professional mobile mechanic complete a check engine light inspection since they’ll have the correct equipment to complete the scan, to let you know what codes exist.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr