Q: Power steering unit leak. 2010 Honda Crosstour

I started to notice a whining noise for the past few weeks. It happened during the first 15 to 20 minutes of driving. This made me think it might be a belt or power steering related problem. My car was due for a 60,000 mileage service, and it turned out that the power steering unit was leaking. The mechanic said they need to put in a new Power Steering rack at some point. He said it’s very rare for this to happen at this low of mileage. I am hoping this will be covered under warranty. What do you think about this? What are you ideas or thoughts?

A: Hello. It is rare that the steering rack an...

Hello. It is rare that the steering rack and the power steering pump needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles. These parts usually last for over 100,000 miles and are not often replaced. I do not think that the steering rack will be covered under warranty because it is usually considered a wear and tear component. It would be a good idea to verify the fault with another expert because the steering rack is expensive to repair. If you need a second opinion on the car, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home to inspect the leak and replace the steering rack if necessary.