Q: it won't start unless I major pump gas. Check engine light on now. Smell/see small oil or gas leak in engine by carb. runs fine

asked by on November 27, 2017

Car being difficult to start. It does everything-lights sounds like it will start (not clicking like refusal 2 to start) but seems like no gas almost. Feed gas starts. Initially just one pump and would start and run fine. Once it's on it runs and sounds normal. Check engine light would come on when it wouldn't start and then go off once on. Now, check engine light is on. It's harder to start. Car runs fine once on but super hard to get to turn on- have to pump the gas a lot and keep trying ignition. The last few days thought could smell gas popped the hood and found a small leak. There is a small line of some kind- literally about 6-8inches. It appears to just push down on and stay closed another part of the engine- I pulled it off and there is a huge crack/chunk missing from it. Whatever this is it appears to be part of the problem. I put electrical tape around it to make the seal firm and then pushed it back on. Car seems worse now. I have no car knowledge if that wasn't very clear

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your engine is fuel injected, so there is no carburetor. Pressing the accelerator pedal is not normally required to start a fuel injected vehicle. However, if you have noticed that holding the pedal to the floor while you are cranking the engine aids starting that may signify a fault in the air induction (throttle body) system. There are many causes of hard starting but illustrative ones are a faulty engine coolant temperature switch (sensor), malfunctioning idle air control (IAC) valve, vacuum and EGR leaks, inadequate fuel delivery or pressure (clogged fuel filter, injectors), and contaminated or old gasoline. To resolve the issue that you are writing in about, please request a hard starting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

First of all these cars are fuel injected and not carbureted. You should have the fuel leak checked as soon as possible and any leaks repaired due to the high pressure of the system can cause a fire if leaking. Have computer scanned for codes to see if there is a sensor that has failed like the crankshaft or camshaft sensor.