Q: My truck doesn't work properly after replacing the spark plugs and wires

asked by on June 15, 2016

Today I took out all eight spark plugs and all eight wires and put the new ones in and started up my truck and it makes a clicking noise on the bottom passenger side and it starts very weak and there is a lot of loud kind of like air sound and the whole truck shakes. Do you know what this could be?

A few different faults can cause the vehicle to lose power like this after a spark plug replacement. The most likely possibilities are that one of the spark plugs is loose, there is a misfire from one or more of the plug wires, there is a stripped spark plug hole, improperly gapped spark plugs, or if something was dropped into a cylinder. If you want to have the fault verified, a qualified technician from YourMechanic, will be able to assist in diagnosis of your car’s hard start issue and make any repairs as needed.