Q: I have a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta the engine just went is it worth fixing or trashing it

asked by on February 21, 2018

I have a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta the car is in good shape but the engine just went is it worth fixing or just giving it to the junk yard I’m not sure how the car was maintained due to previous owners

If your goal is to minimize the cost of transportation, compare the total cost of getting your car fully functional, in your case that would be the cost of repairing the engine, to the total cost of replacing the car. So, let’s say in your circumstance the rest of your car still functions OK (no "major" problems or show stoppers other than the engine) but you need a $3,000 engine repair to make the car functional. The relevant comparison then is the $3,000 repair cost versus the cost of replacing the car. Note that in determining the least cost pathway, the actual market value of your present car is economically irrelevant. The present market value of your car could be literally zero, but so long as the $3,000 repair is less than the cost of the alternative, that is buying "another" car, the least cost approach would be to fix what you have. You can always (literally) minimize your transportation costs if you repair your present car endlessly (until the frame rusts away) and it can be almost always less costly if you use an economical enough repair service such as YourMechanic. You did not state exactly what is wrong with your car’s engine. Not all engine faults require complete rebuilding. If you want to obtain a diagnostic, and as part of that an explanation of your slate of repair options (based on the diagnostic), just request service. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you get the maximum benefit from your repair dollars.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr