Q: Gasket sealer required for water pump and thermostat? 1992 Subaru Legacy

asked by on March 20, 2017

The water pump went out in my car and so I'm replacing the water pump and thermostat do I need to use gasket sealant when replacing both of them?

Water Pump Replacement $171.86 - $1147.02 Get a Quote
Thermostat Replacement $141.88 - $639.09 Get a Quote

Hi there - no, gasket sealer should not be required. the thermostat should come with an o-ring, and the water pump should come with a paper-like gasket. Neither should require gasket sealant as long as the o-ring and gasket are supplied and used as instructed. For assistance, I recommend a [water pump replacement](Hi there - no, gasket sealer should not be required. the thermostat should come with an o-ring, and the water pump should come with a paper-like gasket. Neither should require gasket sealant as long as the o-ring and gasket are supplied and used as instructed. For assistance, I recommend a water pump replacement and a thermostat replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and make both of these repairs.